Wednesday, March 14, 2012

'Efficiency'

That's what they called it when I brought in three fighters two nights ago anyway. Two dead, one wounded. Corporate term, whatever. That adds to Luc's impression that the entire proxy operation is a gigantic cross between a company and the mob.

Any way, it got me the day off yesterday which is always a plus. I got to spend it relaxing with my family. That's always something I can be grateful for. It made me realize too that I'm going to need to start saving up for a....um what do you call it. It's on the tip of my tongue. Any way I need to buy a 'marry me' ring sooner than later, or now haha.

While I'm typing I thought I'd talk about the job itself here actually. Usually I talk to Diesel about where I run to and what I end up killing in a night but he's not around and any trying to get in contact with him gets all of us his cheerfully vulgar voicemail. I don't want to make a habit of talking about work here because it's bad to broadcast your every move in the intelligence industry, but I need to vent more often than I can keep it in. So I'm venting for tonight.

Two nights ago I got sent after three people, two shady guys and this one chick with about twenty tattoos. They were runners, but I guess they all met up somewhere and talked it out and decided to become fighters. Big mistake. They picked the wrong town to get their start. Plus fighting only gets people like me sent after you. I wasn't supposed to kill them for sure, just stop them from collaborating and scare the crap out of them. I'm good for scaring people, especially new runners who haven't seen a lot of gore, haha. All I have to do is pull my hair back and show a couple extra scars. Heck, it was so warm I even wore a sleeveless shirt to show off the diamonds on my shoulders. But it didn't go so simply like I wanted it to. Things kind of escalated.

I was given a place and a time where they'd be. Some back alleyway under the bluff. Talk about genre-blind. I was surprised to see two of my coworkers there, too. It was actually Andy and another guy named Steven that I didn't know. Andy just smirked at me and cracked his neck. "'Sup, Scarface." He said.

The group of fighters was there ten minutes exactly after the time I was given. I let them stand and talk all huddled in a circle for a few minutes before I nocked my first arrow, pulled back, and shot. I wasn't aiming for anything, just trying to scare them, but the arrow buried into the shorter guy's shoulder two inches past the head. It pinned his arm into his ribcage and he fell over screaming and swearing. I was pretty proud of the random shot.

Andy and Steven walked into the alley before I did. Andy had his gun drawn and Steven was holding a copper pipe. It was probably epic when I followed right between them with my bow slung over my back again and a hunting knife in each hand in reverse grip. I took a few cues from Knit when it comes to knife fighting, haha.

"Proxies."

The chick flipped out and pulled a gun of her own. It wasn't a chick gun either. It was a pretty high caliber hand gun. I thought for a second that I'd have to teleport to avoid her shooting me or one of the others but Andy is a quicker shot than I would have thought. He hit her in the hand and she dropped the thing. She started screaming at him, and at me, and at Steven before she used her other hand to draw a shortsword. It was one of those things that you can buy at the Renaissance Fair.

The other guy she was with turned tail and ran so I took aim and shot him too. The boss didn't say it was important to keep them alive and fighters, even noob ones are a lot more dangerous than plain runners.  didn't want them hurting anyone I know. I guess he the boss was hungry too because he just let me do it. I hit the guy square in the back of the head. Cleaning brains off of an arrowhead....not a nice experience. You know, I have to aim everything a little bit to the left when I shoot because I was right eye dominant...it's weird to have to do.

The two guys ended up dying there which I guess is expected because I use bleeder edge hunting broadheads on my arrows and I hit them both in pretty vital places. I got both arrowheads back this time too, which is a plus. I didn't shoot the chick because something about that would have been wrong, even if she was trying to kill us more than the guys were. I'm pretty sure Andy took the shortsword off of her. He and Steven ended up taking all three of them to where they arranged to meet the boss.

I got word from a courier about two hours later that I'd have the next day off because I took care of a possible problem situation so quickly. A reward, haha. I kind of shook it off and took the day off as a day off because it bothers me how easy killing is to me. I feel like I shouldn't have an easier time hunting people than I do hunting deer, but I do.

Sorry....that was all kind of morbid wasn't it? I know I was just describing my job but I forget that most of you haven't ever killed someone. Or most of you aren't desensitized to it. Or most of you don't even think about it.

But seriously. If anyone sees Diesel, tell him to answer his phone and get back soon! If he's not here by Sunday...Sammi might just go off on a transglobal moose hunt. I don't want to have to talk about work on this blog anymore either because I feel like a total idiot right now. I feel better though. I'm not keeping it all cooped up.

I'm going to save happy thoughts for a different post. So for now, I'm going to sign off.

Oh yeah, we still have a lot of room here. I feel like we're going to have a guest drought maybe because everyone is so busy, but more life in the house is always a good thing.

6 comments:

Zephy said...

Wow. Ryan is it? Simply amazing how good your aim is...and to nail someone in that back of the head...mmm perfection. What's this? Teleportation? What a glorious gift from the Tall One.

What they say is true...you do learn something new everyday. I always thought there were only runners...but it seems some put up a fight. Here I am, thinking that being a proxy will be all about kill those MAGGOTS that dare run from HIM. It seems I may be in need of learning how to fight.

Swan said...

Beautiful hunt. I can't say I don't envy that. I always perfered close quarters weapons myself. It's nice to literally have the blood on your hands sometimes.

Amy said...

The word you're looking for is "engagement."

Ryan said...

Zephy. I've been shooting from when I was little and being a good shot runs in my family. Thanks. And yeah I call it teleporting because that's the easiest way to describe it. It's more like picking up my relative speed compared to everyone else until they're all standing still. It is a nice thing to have that's for sure.

Swan. Thank you. I actually prefer my bow to the knives but the knives still are great to have. They're both way better than having to break people's bones like I used to, too.

Amy. Yeah I remembered that when I reread this post, haha. Thanks though.

Zephy said...

Ryan, since you have such amazing marksmanship why have you not considered using a gun?

Ryan said...

Zephy. I used to be great with a rifle too but my I had every bone in my right hand broken once and my trigger finger doesn't work the way I need it to anymore. It's still fine to draw a bow though.